George Rosenkranz was born in Budapest, Hungary and studied chemical engineering at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. While en-route to Ecuador to assume an academic position at the University of Quito,…
Marion David Francis begins his interview with a discussion of his childhood in Canada. Deeply influenced by his industrious parents and siblings, Francis worked his way through high school and college at a logging…
John W. Johnstone begins the interview with a description of his childhood days in the boroughs of New York City. While in high school, he was encouraged by John McManus to study chemistry. After graduating from Far…
- Interviewee Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Chemical industry, Businesspeople--Biography, Olin Corporation, Airco, Inc., Businesspeople, Executives, Chemists, Hooker Chemicals & Plastics Corp., Executives--Biography, Chemists--Biography, Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
Delbert Meyer begins his oral history with a description of his family life as a youth in Maynard, Iowa. He was uncertain of his future career choice and served for two years in the U.S. Navy. Influential professors at…
George Govier begins the interview with a discussion of his family background and youth. Govier grew up in Canada, the son of a business owner. While in high school, he developed a strong interest in chemistry,…
Samuel Natelson begins the interview with a discussion of his family background and childhood in Brooklyn, New York. After receiving his Ph.D., he began his career teaching at Girls Commercial High School. While…
J. Roger Hirl begins the interview with a discussion of his early life and education. Hirl grew up in Iowa and Minnesota. After graduating from high school, Hirl attended the University of Iowa, earning his B.L.S. in…
- Interviewee Hirl, J. Roger, 1931-
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Chemical industry, Hirl, J. Roger, 1931-, Businesspeople--Biography, Olin Corporation, Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation, Businesspeople, Executives, Executives--Biography, Occidental Chemical (Firm), New York (State)--Niagara Falls--Love Canal Chemical Waste Landfill
George A. Olah begins the interview with a description of his family and childhood years in Budapest, Hungary. Olah first developed an interest in chemistry after taking a chemistry course at the Technical University of…
- Interviewee Olah, George A. (George Andrew), 1927-2017
- Interviewer Thackray, Arnold, 1939-, Traynham, James G.
- Subject University of Southern California, Dow Chemical Company, Chemists, Loker Hydrocarbon Research Institute, Chemists--Biography, Nobel Prize winners, Olah, George A. (George Andrew), 1927-2017
Ivan Maxwell Robinson begins the interview with a discussion of his family life and education. He was born in the small village of Lakeville, Nova Scotia, where his father ran the general store, and his mother was a…
Irvin I. Rubin begins the interview by describing his family history and how he came to work in the plastics industry. Throughout the interview Rubin describes the intricacies of working with plastic, starting with the…
Frank R. Nissel begins the interview by describing his early childhood and schooling in Berlin, Germany, and subsequent move to Egypt due to the emergence of Adolf Hitler's policies. Arriving in Egypt at the age of…