James U. Bowie was born in Rochester, Minnesota, in 1959; the youngest of four siblings. Bowie's father, E. J. Walter Bowie, was a doctor originally from England who met Bowie's Swiss mother, Gertrud Ülrich, while she…
Frank A. Laski was born in Detroit, Michigan; he grew up in Oak Park, a suburb of Detroit until about high-school age, when his family moved to Southfield, another suburb. His father's parents and sisters perished in a…
Robert M. Hayes begins the interview with a discussion of his father's and his stepfather's affect on his life. He describes how he traveled frequently because of his stepfather's acting career, attending over sixteen…
- Interviewee Hayes, Robert Mayo. 1926-
- Interviewer Burke, Colin B.
- Sponsor Eugene Garfield Foundation
- Subject Hayes, Robert Mayo, 1926-, Computer programming, Navy V-12 Program (U.S.), United States. National Bureau of Standards, Hughes Aircraft Company, Magnavox Government and Industrial Electronics Company, Advanced Information Systems, Inc, United States. National Commission on Libraries and Information Science, University of California, Los Angeles, Information scientists, Mathematicians
- 1991-Jun-19 (First session)
- 1994-Mar-17 (Second session)
Emil Smith begins his oral history interview by discussing his undergraduate study of biology at Columbia University. He received a Guggenheim fellowship to Cambridge University until the outbreak of World War II. Smith…
William McMillan begins this interview with a discussion of his parents and youth in Montebello, California. The youngest of seven siblings, McMillan expressed an interest in science at an early age. He attended…
- Interviewee McMillan, William George, 1919-
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Rand Corporation, Mayer, Joseph Edward, 1904-, McMillan, William George, 1919-, Manhattan Project (U.S.), Chemists, McMillan Science Associates, Harvard University, Chemists--Biography, Columbia University, University of California, Los Angeles