Dov Frohman begins the interview by describing his early separation from his parents in the Netherlands due to World War II. After moving between several orphanages, Frohman was adopted by relatives and attended primary…
- Interviewee Frohman, Dov, 1939-
- Interviewer Brock, David C.
- Sponsor Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
- Subject Frohman, Dov, 1939-, World War (1939-1945), Electrical engineering, Fairchild (Firm), Intel Corporation, Metal oxide semiconductors, Universiṭah ha-ʻIvrit bi-Yerushalayim, Moore, Gordon E., 1929-, Electrical engineers
Arthur Rock begins the interview with a discussion of his family and educational background. In 1944, Rock joined the United States Army. After World War II, Rock attended Syracuse University, and then continued on to…
Carlos A. Cuadra, a pioneer in the field of information sciences, begins the interview by discussing his family and educational background. He describes how he continued his education while serving in the Navy during…
- Interviewee Cuadra, Carlos A.
- Interviewer Burke, Colin B.
- Sponsor Eugene Garfield Foundation
- Subject Cuadra, Carlos A., World War (1939-1945), Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, Rand Corporation, System Development Corporation, Information storage and retrieval systems, United States. National Commission on Libraries and Information Science, Information storage and retrieval systems--Business, Defense contracts, Intelligence service
The interview begins with Dr. Marinus Los' description of his family's origins in The Netherlands. When he was two years old, his family moved to England, where he received his early education during World War II.…
This interview with Frederick J. Karol begins with a short discussion of Karol's family background and childhood near Boston, Massachusetts. Following an early interest in chemistry, Karol in 1946 enrolled at Boston…
- Interviewee Karol, Frederick J., 1933-
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Sponsor Society of Chemical Industry (Great Britain). American Section
- Subject Karol, Frederick J., 1933-, World War (1939-1945), Soldiers, Union Carbide Corporation, Polyethylene, License agreements, Chemical industry, Shell Chemical Company, Polypropylene, Ziegler-Natta catalysts, Polymers, Polymerization, Chemists
Herbert C. Brown studied at Crane Junior College, where he became fascinated by chemistry and its history; when Crane closed down, Brown was among the students invited to work in Nicholas D. Cheronis' Synthetical…
- 1991-May-24 – 1991-Jun-05
O. Theodor Benfey begins the interview with a description of his childhood in Germany during the rise of the Third Reich. He tells of his experiences in England, where he was a student during the war, and then his move…
Rudolph Marcus begins the interview with a discussion of his family background and early education. Though he spent some of his early years in Detroit, Michigan, he primarily grew up in a Jewish neighborhood in…
- Interviewee Marcus, Rudolph A. (Rudolph Arthur), 1923-
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Marcus, Rudolph A. (Rudolph Arthur), 1923-, Chemistry, Physical and theoretical, World War (1939-1945), National Research Council Canada, University of North Carolina (1793-1962), United States. Office of Naval Research, Unimolecular reactions, Polytechnic University (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.), Polymers, Oxford University, California Institute of Technology, Charge exchange
Harold Scheraga starts this interview by recalling his childhood in Monticello, New York and then in Brooklyn, where he attended Brooklyn Boys High School. There he was attracted to Latin and mathematics. Scheraga…
Charles P. Smyth begins the interview by naming the many scientists in his family and discussing his undergraduate education at Princeton, with descriptions of the curriculum, faculty, and facilities. He then describes…
- Interviewee Smyth, Charles Phelps, 1895-1990
- Interviewer Doel, Ronald E., Sturchio, Jeffrey L. (Jeffrey Louis), 1952-
- Subject United States. War Department. Alsos Mission, World War (1914-1918), World War (1939-1945), Smyth, Charles Phelps, 1895-1990, Princeton University, Chemists--Biography, Chemists