Vincent L. Gregory begins this interview with a description of growing up in a family of nine during the Depression. While deciding between entering the priesthood and a business career, Gregory opted to study economics…
Mary Good begins the interview with a discussion of her family history, her childhood, and her early education. Her family moved from Texas to Arkansas in 1942, when her father was offered a principalship in Kirby. Good…
- Interviewee Good, Mary L., 1931-
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Good, Mary L., 1931-, United Oil Products, Inc., Allied-Signal Inc., American Chemical Society, National Science Foundation (U.S.), Women chemists, Women in science, Radiochemistry, President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST)
Paul Weisz begins his oral history interview by discussing his family background in Austria-Hungary after World War I period, when his family moved to Berlin. Weisz was educated in the Gymnasium, where he developed an…
Charles Tobias begins this interview with a description of his extended family in Hungary and their interest in engineering. He remembers his early childhood and education in Hungary and the influence of his family and…
Born in Copenhagen, he grew up in Denmark, and was very involved in his father's Samfundshjælpen, which taught him the importance of collaboration between social classes. Topsøe studied at the Technical University,…
- 1998-May-12 (First session)
- 1999-Mar-15 (Second session)
- 1999-Jun-10 (Third session)
- 2003-Jan-10 (Fourth session)
Harold Sorgenti begins the interview by discussing his family background and childhood. He was able to find a job after college at Battelle Memorial Institute and while working in research there, Sorgenti received his…
This interview describes Dr. Edgar W. Spanagel's life, focusing on his contributions to nylon research at the DuPont Company. Although his father died when he was fourteen, leaving his mother alone with four children,…
In this interview, Dr. Sinfelt recalls his childhood during the Depression, his early education, and his interest in mathematics. He then moves on to the awakening of his interest in science, first at Lycoming College…
Claire K. Schultz begins the interview by discussing her childhood in south central Pennsylvania. Raised primarily by her father and grandmother, Schultz dreamed of becoming a doctor from a young age. Inspired by her…
- Interviewee Schultz, Claire K.
- Interviewer Williams, Robert V.
- Subject Women in science, Information storage and retrieval systems--Chemistry, Librarians--Biography, Librarians, Drexel University, Merck Sharp & Dohme, Chemistry--Abstracting and indexing, Women in library science, Chemistry--Nomenclature, Sperry Rand (Corporation). Univac Division, Schultz, Claire K.
George Rosenkranz was born in Budapest, Hungary and studied chemical engineering at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. While en-route to Ecuador to assume an academic position at the University of Quito,…
Robert Roland describes his family background and upbringing in Upper Darby, PA, as well as his education at Villanova University and the University of Pennsylvania School of Law. Roland also reflects on his career in…
- Interviewee Roland, Robert A., 1931-2013
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Lawyers, Chemical industry, Roland, Robert A., 1931-2013, Chemical Manufacturers Association (U.S.), Chemical industry--Environmental aspects, National Paint and Coatings Association, Lawyers--Biography, International Medal
Eugene G. Rochow discusses his family background in Germany, his upbringing in New Jersey, and his early interests in electricity and silicon which led him to pursue degrees in chemistry at Cornell University where he…
- 1999-Sep-16 (First session)
- 1999-Sep-17 (Second session)
George Rathmann discusses his upbringing in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, his undergraduate work in physical chemistry at Northwestern University, and later his graduate studies in physical chemistry at Princeton University.…
Harold J. Read describes his family background and his upbringing in Illinois, where he also earned his BS and MA from the University of Illinois but Read later relocated to the University of Pennsylvania where his…
Miguel A. Ondetti begins this interview by describing his parents' immigrant background and work in Argentina, his early interests in chemistry, and his education at vocational school in Buenos Aires. Upon high school…
Arthur Mendolia begins the interview with a discussion of his family and childhood. After graduating from high school in Youngstown, Ohio, Mendolia entered Case Western Reserve University in 1934, majoring in chemical…
Delbert Meyer begins his oral history with a description of his family life as a youth in Maynard, Iowa. He was uncertain of his future career choice and served for two years in the U.S. Navy. Influential professors at…
Samuel Natelson begins the interview with a discussion of his family background and childhood in Brooklyn, New York. After receiving his Ph.D., he began his career teaching at Girls Commercial High School. While…
Keith McKennon begins this interview by discussing the origins of his interest in research and chemistry and the impact of growing up in Pendleton, Oregon, and attending Oregon State University. He then describes his…
- 1993 – 1995 (In three sessions)
Boris Magasanik begins the interview with a description of his childhood years in Vienna, Austria. Shortly after graduating from the Gymnasium in 1937, Magasanik immigrated to the United States to live with his sister…
Joseph Labovsky opens the interview with a discussion of his childhood in Ukraine and his family experiences there after his father emigrated to the United States in 1914. Labovsky moved with his mother and siblings to…
Stephanie Kwolek begins the interview with a discussion of her early career at DuPont. She joined DuPont in 1946, the same year she earned her B.S. in chemistry at Carnegie-Mellon University. Kwolek spent much of her…
John W. Johnstone begins the interview with a description of his childhood days in the boroughs of New York City. While in high school, he was encouraged by John McManus to study chemistry. After graduating from Far…
- Interviewee Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Chemical industry, Businesspeople--Biography, Olin Corporation, Airco, Inc., Businesspeople, Executives, Chemists, Hooker Chemicals & Plastics Corp., Executives--Biography, Chemists--Biography, Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
J. Roger Hirl begins the interview with a discussion of his early life and education. Hirl grew up in Iowa and Minnesota. After graduating from high school, Hirl attended the University of Iowa, earning his B.L.S. in…
- Interviewee Hirl, J. Roger, 1931-
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Chemical industry, Hirl, J. Roger, 1931-, Businesspeople--Biography, Olin Corporation, Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation, Businesspeople, Executives, Executives--Biography, Occidental Chemical (Firm), New York (State)--Niagara Falls--Love Canal Chemical Waste Landfill
The interview begins as J. Paul Hogan discusses his family background and early education in Lowes, Kentucky. Next follows a description of Hogan's college education at Murray State and teaching experiences at the high…