Paul S. Anderson begins the interview with a discussion of his family and his childhood in Vermont. Though he was born in Concord, Vermont, in 1938, his father became the superintendent of Swainton, Vermont, schools…
- Interviewee Anderson, Paul S., 1938-
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Sponsor Society of Chemical Industry (Great Britain). American Section
- Subject Pharmaceutical industry -- Research , Pharmaceutical chemistry, Merck Sharp & Dohme, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, DuPont-Merck Pharmaceutical Company , E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, Anderson, Paul S., 1938-
Rudolph Pariser's life has been significantly shaped by the historical events of the 20th century, from being born in China since his mother found refuge there during Russian Revolution while his father escaped from his…
Cheves Walling begins this interview by describing his family, early education, and undergraduate days at Harvard. He then discusses his graduate education at the University of Chicago, stressing the major review…
Howard S. Turner begins the interview with a discussion of his childhood and his early interest in chemistry. After attending the George School for two years, he attended Swarthmore College and received a bachelor's in…
This interview describes Dr. Edgar W. Spanagel's life, focusing on his contributions to nylon research at the DuPont Company. Although his father died when he was fourteen, leaving his mother alone with four children,…
Irving Shapiro begins this interview by discussing his parents' backgrounds and the influence of his father's interest in law and accounting. Next Shapiro examines his own early intellectual strengths and proclivities…
- 1986-Dec-30 (First session)
- 1987-Jan-12 (Second session)
Herman Schroeder starts the interview by discussing his family background and growing up in Brooklyn. An early learner, Schroeder attended public and private high schools where his scientific interests were first…
Howard E. Simmons, Jr., begins the interview describing his family history. Simmons, an only child growing up in Norfolk, Virginia, pursued early chemistry interests in a home laboratory and graduated high school near…
In this interview John Schaefgen begins with his family history and early life in Gross Point, Illinois. He then discusses the development of his interest in science, and describes his education, including his…
Ivan Maxwell Robinson begins the interview with a discussion of his family life and education. He was born in the small village of Lakeville, Nova Scotia, where his father ran the general store, and his mother was a…
Renfrew studied chemistry at the University of Idaho, in part, influenced by a chemist uncle. After serving as a teaching assistant in both physics and chemistry and completing a Masters thesis, he joined George…
- 1986-Apr-14 (First session)
- 1986-May-27 (Second session)
Roy Plunkett starts this conversation with James Bohning by describing his family background. As the family were members of the Church of the Brethren it was natural for Plunkett to attend Manchester College, where Paul…
Arthur Mendolia begins the interview with a discussion of his family and childhood. After graduating from high school in Youngstown, Ohio, Mendolia entered Case Western Reserve University in 1934, majoring in chemical…
Paul Morgan starts the interview by describing his childhood in Maine and his family background, high school, and early interests. After undergraduate studies at the University of Maine, Morgan did graduate research at…
In this interview Dr. Frank Mayo first discusses his educational career as an undergraduate and graduate student at the University of Chicago. He then traces his professional career as a research chemist with Du Pont,…
- Interviewee Mayo, Frank R. (Rea), 1908-1987
- Interviewer Gortler, Leon B.
- Subject Kharasch, M. S. (Morris Selig), 1895-1957, General Electric Company. Research Laboratory, Stanford Research Institute, University of Chicago, United States Rubber Company, Chemists, Mayo, Frank R. (Rea), 1908-1987, Chemists--Biography, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company
Stephanie Kwolek begins the interview with a discussion of her early career at DuPont. She joined DuPont in 1946, the same year she earned her B.S. in chemistry at Carnegie-Mellon University. Kwolek spent much of her…
Joseph Labovsky opens the interview with a discussion of his childhood in Ukraine and his family experiences there after his father emigrated to the United States in 1914. Labovsky moved with his mother and siblings to…
Stephanie Kwolek starts this interview by describing her family background. Her father's early death meant that her mother had to work to support Kwolek and her brother, who later became a chemical engineer. At the…
The interview begins with Richard E. Heckert discussing his family background and childhood as the son of a Miami University of Ohio professor of education. Throughout the interview, he refers to his brother Winfield, a…
Hayden begins with his life in Windsor, Connecticut, his academic life at Clark College, and his first employment with insurance companies in Hartford. He served in clinical laboratories and other assignments in the…
William Hanford begins the interview with a discussion of the importance of teamwork and the influence of Roger Adams in his career. He then continues on to his family background and youth. His high school chemistry…
- Interviewee Hanford, William E., 1908-1996
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject General Aniline & Film Corporation, Olin Corporation, Polymers, Carothers, Wallace Hume, 1896-1937, Chemistry, Organic, Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, Chemists--Biography, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, M. W. Kellogg Company, Hanford, William E., 1908-1996, Chemists
Millard G. Gamble capped his thirty-nine year career in sales and marketing of fibers at E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company as the vice president of the Textile Fibers Department. Gamble begins the interview by…
Dale Baker begins the interview with a discussion of his early years and family background. Inspired by a high school teacher, Baker decided to major in chemical engineering upon entering Ohio State University in 1938,…
- Interviewee Baker, Dale B.
- Interviewer Slater, Leo Barney, 1963-, Williams, Robert V.
- Subject Chemical engineering, American Chemical Society. Chemical Abstracts Service, Chemistry--Nomenclature, American Chemical Society, National Federation of Science Abstracting and Indexing Services, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, Chemical engineers, Garfield, Eugene, Information storage and retrieval systems--Chemistry, Chemistry--Research, Baker, Dale B., Chemists--Biography, Chemistry--Abstracting and indexing