Linus Pauling begins this interview by describing his early interest in science. While growing up in Portland, Oregon, he collected laboratory equipment and carried out chemistry experiments in his home. He also worked…
In this interview Vladimir Prelog discusses his career as an organic chemist. Prelog describes a thirty five year long affiliation with the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH). This includes work with the…
George A. Olah begins the interview with a description of his family and childhood years in Budapest, Hungary. Olah first developed an interest in chemistry after taking a chemistry course at the Technical University of…
- Interviewee Olah, George A. (George Andrew), 1927-2017
- Interviewer Thackray, Arnold, 1939- and Traynham, James G.
- Subject Nobel Prize winners, University of Southern California, Dow Chemical Company, Loker Hydrocarbon Research Institute, Olah, George A. (George Andrew), 1927-2017, Chemists, and Chemists--Biography
This oral history is part of a series supported by the Center for Nanotechnology in Society (CNS), University of California, Santa Barbara, under the National Science Foundation Grant No. SES 0531184. Researchers using…
Joshua Lederberg begins the interview with a discussion of his involvement in the contamination issues of planetary exploration. As interest in space exploration gained momentum, Lederberg was in the midst of discussion…
- 1992-Jun-25 (First session)
- 1992-Jul-07 (Second session)
- 1992-Dec-09 (Third session)
Joshua Lederberg begins the three-part interview with a description of his parents, family background, and early years in New York. Lederberg knew from the second grade that he wanted to be a scientist, and he…
- Interviewee Lederberg, Joshua
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Nobel Prize winners, Biology, Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Quantitative Biology, Microbiologists, Neurospora, Lederberg, Joshua, University of Wisconsin, Escherichia coli, Cytochemistry, DNA, Biologists--Biography, Biologists, and Microbiology
William S. Knowles begins his oral history by discussing his early life during the Great Depression and his education, including time at Harvard University and Columbia University. Knowles spent the majority of his…
Gerhard Herzberg descries his schooling in Germany. An interest in science and mathematics was kindled at his school in Hamburg; indeed, Herzberg's first interest was astronomy. More practical considerations led him to…
In this interview Donald Cram talks briefly about his family and growing up in Vermont, Florida and New York, and this is followed by a description of his experiences at Rollins College and his start in the world of…
The interview begins with Konrad E. Bloch describing his childhood in Neisse, Germany, and his undergraduate education at Technische Hochschule in Munich. During a research assistantship in Davos, Switzerland, Bloch had…
- Interviewee Bloch, Konrad Emil, 1912-
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Biochemistry, Nobel Prize winners, Biosynthesis, Bloch, Konrad Emil, 1912-, Cholesterol, Human Genome Project, Harvard University, University of Oxford, Biochemists, Cholesterol--Synthesis, Chemistry, Organic, and Columbia University