- 2004-Sep-01 (Second session)
- 2004-Jul-14 (First session)
Andrew S. Grove begins the first interview session with a description of his undergraduate life at the City College of New York, where exposure to influential professors shaped his professional outlook and personal…
Paul Greer begins his interview with a short description of his upbringing in western Pennsylvania, where his father operated a successful business college. Greer studied chemistry at the small Grove City College, but…
- Interviewee Greer, Paul S., 1904-2006
- Interviewer Morris, Peter J. T.
- Subject Reconstruction Finance Corporation. Office of Synthetic Rubber, Chemical engineers, Chemical engineering, Petroleum chemicals, United States. Army Research Office, Greer, Paul S., 1904-2006, and Carbide and Carbon Chemicals Corporation
Peter Morris starts this interview by asking Donald Green and Willard Asbury about the early years at Standard Oil Development Company and the influence of Frank Howard and Eger Murphree. The arc process is discussed as…
- Interviewee Green, Donald A., 1905-1988 and Asbury, Willard C., 1900-1986
- Interviewer Morris, Peter J. T.
- Subject Green, Donald A., 1905-1988, Solvay Process Company, Chemical engineers, United States Strategic Bombing Survey, Ziegler-Natta catalysts, Esso Research and Engineering Company, Interessengemeinschaft Farbenindustrie Aktiengesellschaft, Asbury, Willard C., 1900-1986, Enjay Chemical Company, Standard Oil Development Company, Petroleum chemicals industry, Hydrogenation Engineering and Chemical Company, Petroleum industry and trade, Atmospheric Nitrogen Company, and Standard Oil Company
George Govier begins the interview with a discussion of his family background and youth. Govier grew up in Canada, the son of a business owner. While in high school, he developed a strong interest in chemistry,…
- 2005-Feb-18 (First session)
- 2005-Apr-08 (Second session)
James M. Goldey chronicles his involvement with the electronics industry and his career at Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc. He describes his interaction with William B. Shockley, Julius Molnar, Jack Moll, and Ian M.…
David Golde begins the interview with a discussion of his early years and education in Bayonne, New Jersey. In high school, Golde developed an interest in medicine, which was stimulated by his biology teacher. He…
- Interviewee Golde, David W., 1940-2004
- Interviewer Wolfe, Audra J.
- Subject Microbiology, Microbiologists, Virology, Biochemists, Biochemistry, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, University of California, Los Angeles. School of Medicine, Cornell University, Golde, David W., 1940-2004, Virology--Research, Biology, and University of California, San Francisco. School of Medicine
William Goggin begins the interview with a description of his family and his childhood years in Michigan. After attending grade school and high school in Alma, Michigan, he attended Alma College. He received his B.S. in…
Louis A. Girifalco studied applied science at the University of Cincinnati, and did his Ph.D. research on the adhesion of ice to surfaces. The surface science thesis research naturally evolved into solid state physics…
William Gauvin begins with background information about his childhood experiences in Europe, his formative education, and his emigration during the Depression to join his family in Canada. He describes his education at…
- Interviewee Gauvin, William H., 1913-1994
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Spray drying, Nitroamines, Winkler, Carl A., Pulp and Paper Research Institute of Canada, Chemistry, Physical and theoretical, Chemical engineering, Noranda Research Centre, Gauvin, William H., 1913-1994, Thiesmeyer, Lincoln R. (Lincoln Reuber), 1908-, McGill University. Department of Chemical Engineering, Churchill, Stuart Winston, 1920-, and Chemical engineers
Eugene Garfield begins the interview with a discussion of The Johns Hopkins University Welch Library indexing project. Garfield joined this project in 1951, during which he became involved in machine methods for…
- Interviewee Garfield, Eugene, 1925-2017
- Interviewer Williams, Robert V.
- Subject Citation indexes, Garfield, Eugene, 1925-2017, Information science, Communication in science, Technology--Abstracting and indexing, Chemistry--Nomenclature, Information scientists, Humanities--Abstracting and indexing, Chemistry--Notation, Information scientists--Biography, and Science--Abstracting and indexing
Millard G. Gamble capped his thirty-nine year career in sales and marketing of fibers at E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company as the vice president of the Textile Fibers Department. Gamble begins the interview by…
- 2012-Mar-26 (First session)
- 2012-Mar-27 (Second session)
Mary K. Gall matriculated at Vassar College. Originally she was interesed in bacteriology, but she decided to major in chemistry. She felt she did not have enough 'drive' for medical school, and she always wanted to be…
- 2012-Oct-29 (Second session)
- 2012-Oct-28 (First session)
Jean H. Futrell was born in Grant Parish, Louisiana. He majored in chemical engineering at Louisiana Tech University, and also enrolled in the Air Force ROTC. Futrell attended the University of California at Berkeley…
In this interview Dr. Fuller traces his early years and the development of his interests in radio and in chemistry. Encouraged by an outstanding high school teacher, Fuller won a scholarship to the University of…
- 1998-Mar-27 (Second session)
- 1998-Mar-13 (First session)
Arnold Frankel begins the first interview with a discussion of his family background. His father emigrated from Poland to New York in 1907. Though he was a sign painter, he believed in the importance of education.…
Marion David Francis begins his interview with a discussion of his childhood in Canada. Deeply influenced by his industrious parents and siblings, Francis worked his way through high school and college at a logging…
Daniel Fox begins the interview with a discussion of his family background and early education. Fox and his sisters grew up in various parts of Pennsylvania. He credits his high school chemistry teacher with piquing his…
Douglas J. Foskett begins the interview by describing how he entered the field of information science and began working at Ilford Public Library. After serving in the Royal Army Medical Corps for six years, he returned…
- Interviewee Foskett, D. J.
- Interviewer Rayward, W. Boyd
- Subject Ranganathan, S. R. (Shiyali Ramamrita), 1892-1972, Foskett, D. J., Chemistry--Abstracting and indexing, Information storage and retrieval systems--Chemistry, University of London, Metal Box Company, Chemistry--Nomenclature, Librarians--Biography, Classification Research Group, International Study Conference on Classification Research, and Librarians--Interviews
James A. Fisher begins the interview with a description of his family and early years in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After graduating early from Yale University because of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Fisher secured a…
- Interviewee Fisher, James A. (James Aiken), 1920-2014
- Interviewer Gapp, Marjorie and DeWitt, Lloyd
- Subject Painting, Fisher, James A. (James Aiken), 1920-2014, Alcoa Niagara Works, Fisher Scientific (Firm), Fisher, Chester G., 1881-1965, Painting--Private collections, Kipling Corporation, Art--Collectors and collecting, Alchemy in art, Painting, Netherlandish, and Chemistry
Robert E. Finnigan begins the interview with a description of his family and childhood years in Snyder, New York. Finnigan developed an interest in military service and science while reading The Dave Darrin Series about…
- Interviewee Finnigan, Robert E., 1927-
- Interviewer Brock, David C.
- Subject Electrical engineering, Mass spectrometry, Finnigan Corporation, Electronic Associates, Finnigan, Robert E., 1927-, Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, Electrical engineers, Gas chromatography--Instruments, Quadrupoles, and Scientific apparatus and instruments
Bernard Fields begins the interview with a discussion of his early years, growing up in Brooklyn, New York. Fields was encouraged by his parents to excel in scholastic endeavors. After graduating high school at the age…
- Interviewee Fields, Bernard N.
- Interviewer Schlesinger, Sondra
- Subject Molecular biology, Biochemistry, National Communicable Disease Center (U.S.), Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Virology--Research, Fields, Bernard N., Harvard Medical School, Microbiology, Biochemists, Microbiologists, Immunology, Virology, and Biology
- 2009-Dec-09 (First session)
- 2009-Dec-10 (Second session)
Frank H. Field was raised in Cliffside Park, New Jersey, by an aunt, an uncle, and a grandmother. He entered Duke University, placing a year ahead in chemistry, but had very little money. To meet his expenses he worked…
- Interviewee Field, F. H. (Frank Henry), 1922-
- Interviewer Grayson, Michael A.
- Subject Humble Oil and Refining Company (Incorporated in Tex.), Esso Research and Engineering Company, Chemical apparatus, Ionization, Chemists--Biography, Franklin, J. L. (Joseph Louis), 1906-, Mass spectrometry, Rockefeller University, Chromatographic analysis, Chemists, Field, F. H. (Frank Henry), 1922-, and Consolidated Engineering Corporation
- 2009-Sep-24 (First session)
- 2009-Nov-23 (Second session)
- 2010-Feb-27 (Third session)
- 2010-Jun-28 (Fourth session)
Herman Fialkov was born in 1922 and grew up in Brooklyn, New York. Herman attended City College of New York, studying engineering. He left college to take a job with Emerson Radio Corporation attending night school at…
- Interviewee Fialkov, Herman, 1922-2012
- Interviewer Ulrych, Richard and Brock, David C.
- Subject Engineers, New business enterprises, Engineers--Biography, Entrepreneurship, Semiconductors, Businesspeople, Electronic industries, General Instrument Corporation, Rock, Arthur, 1926-, Fialkov, Herman, 1922-2012, and Businesspeople--Biography
John R. Ferraro was born and grew up in Chicago, Illinois. He attended Richard T. Crane Technical High School, then worked at General Motors for three years before entering Illinois Institute of Technology, majoring in…
This interview with James R. Fair begins with a discussion of Fair's childhood in the Midwest, highlighting high-school experiences in Little Rock, Arkansas, and early interests in science. Fair attended The Citadel as…
- Interviewee Fair, James R., 1920-
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Styrene, Monsanto Chemical Company, High Flyer (Ship), Disasters, Chemical engineering, Fires, Chemical engineers, Fair, James R., 1920-, Texas--Texas City, Grandcamp (Ship), Washington University (Saint Louis, Mo.), Ethylene, University of Texas at Austin, and Shell Development Company