- 2002-Feb-11 (First session)
- 2002-Feb-27 (Second session)
Kaye describes his early interest in science, and specifically, instrumentation. He discusses his decision to study at the University of Illinois, and his own academic experience there as a Ph.D. candidate in chemistry.…
- Interviewee Kaye, Wilbur I. (Wilbur Irving), 1922-2006
- Interviewer Gallwas, Gerald E., Thackray, Arnold, 1939-
- Subject Beckman, Arnold O., Scientific apparatus and instruments, Spectrophotometer, Instrument manufacture, Chemists, Kaye, Wilbur I. (Wilbur Irving), 1922-2006, Chemists--Biography, Tennessee Eastman Company, Beckman Instruments, Inc.
John W. Johnstone begins the interview with a description of his childhood days in the boroughs of New York City. While in high school, he was encouraged by John McManus to study chemistry. After graduating from Far…
- Interviewee Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Chemical industry, Businesspeople--Biography, Olin Corporation, Airco, Inc., Businesspeople, Executives, Chemists, Hooker Chemicals & Plastics Corp., Executives--Biography, Chemists--Biography, Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
- 2008-Apr-24 (First session)
- 2008-Apr-25 (Second session)
Keith R. Jennings begins his oral history by discussing his youth and education in the United Kingdom, including his chemistry studies at University of Oxford, where he worked with Jack Wilfrid Linnett, and his…
James D. Idol begins his interview with a description of his childhood in Harrisonville, Missouri. His interest in chemistry was encouraged by neighbors and by friends. He attended William Jewell College in Liberty,…
In this interview Franklin Hyde briefly tells of his childhood and his schooling in Solvay, New York. At Syracuse University, Hyde majored in chemistry and continued on to a master's degree. It was during this period…
Charles Hurd begins his oral history by discussing his early life and his later educational and professional experiences, including his Ph.D. work in organic chemistry at Princeton University and his summer job in…
Madeline Henderson begins this interview with a description of her family and early years in Quincy, Massachusetts. Henderson attended Emmanuel College, receiving an A.B. in chemistry in 1944. After college, she worked…
- Interviewee Henderson, Madeline M.
- Interviewer Williams, Robert V.
- Subject Women in science, Information scientists--Biography, Information storage and retrieval systems--Chemistry, Information scientists, Information science, Women chemists, Henderson, Madeline M., Chemistry--Abstracting and indexing, Perry, James W. (James Whitney), 1907-, Chemistry--Nomenclature, Chemists
The interview begins with Richard E. Heckert discussing his family background and childhood as the son of a Miami University of Ohio professor of education. Throughout the interview, he refers to his brother Winfield, a…
Hayden begins with his life in Windsor, Connecticut, his academic life at Clark College, and his first employment with insurance companies in Hartford. He served in clinical laboratories and other assignments in the…
Allan S. Hay begins the interview with a description of his secondary and undergraduate education in Alberta. After briefly describing his graduate work at the University of Illinois and a summer job at Du Pont, he…
The interview begins with N. Bruce Hannay discussing the origins of his interest in electrochemistry and his awareness of The Electrochemical Society as an ideal organization for discussions and publications on topics…
The interview begins with Dr. Hannay describing his family background and his early education in Washington state. Both his high school chemistry teacher and his older brother greatly influenced his decision to pursue…
William Hanford begins the interview with a discussion of the importance of teamwork and the influence of Roger Adams in his career. He then continues on to his family background and youth. His high school chemistry…
- Interviewee Hanford, William E., 1908-1996
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject General Aniline & Film Corporation, Olin Corporation, Polymers, Carothers, Wallace Hume, 1896-1937, Chemistry, Organic, Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, Chemists--Biography, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, M. W. Kellogg Company, Hanford, William E., 1908-1996, Chemists
Norman Hackerman begins the interview with a description of his graduate education at Johns Hopkins University and his encounters with Neil E. Gordon. After graduating from Johns Hopkins with a Ph.D. in chemistry,…
In this, his third of three interviews with James J. Bohning of the Chemical Heritage Foundation, Norman Hackerman begins by reviewing the origins of his association with The Electrochemical Society [ECS], which was…
- 2012-Mar-26 (First session)
- 2012-Mar-27 (Second session)
Mary K. Gall matriculated at Vassar College. Originally she was interesed in bacteriology, but she decided to major in chemistry. She felt she did not have enough 'drive' for medical school, and she always wanted to be…
In this interview Dr. Fuller traces his early years and the development of his interests in radio and in chemistry. Encouraged by an outstanding high school teacher, Fuller won a scholarship to the University of…
Daniel Fox begins the interview with a discussion of his family background and early education. Fox and his sisters grew up in various parts of Pennsylvania. He credits his high school chemistry teacher with piquing his…
- 2009-Dec-09 (First session)
- 2009-Dec-10 (Second session)
Frank H. Field was raised in Cliffside Park, New Jersey, by an aunt, an uncle, and a grandmother. He entered Duke University, placing a year ahead in chemistry, but had very little money. To meet his expenses he worked…
- Interviewee Field, F. H. (Frank Henry), 1922-
- Interviewer Grayson, Michael A.
- Subject Field, F. H. (Frank Henry), 1922-, Ionization, Rockefeller University, Chromatographic analysis, Chemists, Mass spectrometry, Chemists--Biography, Consolidated Engineering Corporation, Esso Research and Engineering Company, Humble Oil and Refining Company (Incorporated in Tex.), Franklin, J. L. (Joseph Louis), 1906-, Chemical apparatus
John R. Ferraro was born and grew up in Chicago, Illinois. He attended Richard T. Crane Technical High School, then worked at General Motors for three years before entering Illinois Institute of Technology, majoring in…
- 1987-Aug-31 (First session)
- 1988-Feb-24 (Second session)
In this interview Sidney Edelstein begins with his family life in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and includes his early education and experiences at the Baylor School in Chattanooga. He describes his undergraduate career at…
Elizabeth Dyer recounts her childhood in Haverill, Massachusetts and entering Mount Holyoke College at the age of seventeen. There she was influenced by two outstanding teachers, Louisa Stevenson and Dorothy Hahn, which…
Paul Doty begins by describing his family's background and his early education in Western Pennsylvania. He also recalls attending the ACS national meeting while he was still a teenager. He describes his impressions of…
- 1990-Nov-09 (First session)
- 1991-May-29 (Second session)
William von Eggers Doering begins these interviews with a discussion of his early life and family background. His parents were both musicians, and met while they were both studying music in Leipzig. When World War I…
- Interviewee Doering, W. von E. (William Von Eggers), 1917-
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Chemistry, Hickrill Chemical Research Foundation, Yale University, Woodward, R. B. (Robert Burns), 1917-1979, Procter & Gamble Company, Doering, W. von E. (William Von Eggers), 1917-, Chemistry, Organic, Harvard University, Quinine, Chemists--Biography, Columbia University, Chemists
In this interview Carl Djerassi begins with his early years in Vienna and Bulgaria, including his schooling at the American College in Sofia. This is followed by his immigration to the United States, with special…
- Interviewee Djerassi, Carl
- Interviewer Thackray, Arnold, 1939-, Sturchio, Jeffrey L. (Jeffrey Louis), 1952-
- Subject Djerassi, Carl, Syntex Corporation, Cetus Corporation, Chemists, Chemistry, Organic, Zoecon Corporation, Wayne State University, Stanford University, Chemistry, Ciba Pharmaceutical Company, Chemists--Biography, Steroids