Invitation to Friedrich Wöhler's (1800-1882) eightieth birthday celebration and presentation of a medal. Wöhler was the mentor of James Curtis Booth (1810-1888) who studied with Wöhler for two years in a private…
At the request of the interviewee, the abstract of the interview and interviewee’s biographical data have not been included. For more information, please contact the Center for Oral History.
- 2008-Jul-16 – 2008-Jul-17
Patricia F. Ducy grew up in Lyon, France, an only child. Her father was in insurance and her mother was a secretary. She attended a very good school a fair distance from her home, so she spent much time with her…
- Interviewee Ducy, Patricia F., 1964-
- Interviewer Caruso, David J.
- Sponsor Pew Charitable Trusts
- Subject Ducy, Patricia F., 1964-, Genetics, Pharmacy, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Transcription factors, Baylor College of Medicine, Osteoblasts, Columbia University, Women in science
This interview covers the life of Koji Nakanishi from his early education in Egypt to his current work as Professor of Chemistry at Columbia University and Director of the Suntory Institute for Bioorganic Research in…
- Interviewee Nakanishi, Kōji, 1925-2019
- Interviewer Gortler, Leon B.
- Subject Nakanishi, Kōji, 1925-2019, Columbia University, Infrared spectroscopy, Nuclear magnetic resonance , Circular dichroism, Chemistry, Organic, International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, Tōhoku Daigaku, Tōkyō Kyōiku Daigaku, Nagoya Daigaku, Natural products--Research
- 1997-Apr-14 – 1997-Apr-16
Paul B. Rothman grew up in Queens, New York, one of two children in a Russian-Polish Jewish family. His father was a lawyer, his mother a professor of criminology interested in juvenile justice. He attended public…
- 2004-Jan-08 – 2004-Jan-09
Lili Yamasaki grew up outside of Detroit, Michigan, the second youngest of six siblings. Yamasaki's father was a physician and her mother a nurse, until she began raising her children. Yamasaki had an early interest in…
Gilbert Stork begins his interview with a description of his childhood and family background in Paris. Stork and his family moved to the United States in 1939, and he decided to begin his graduate studies in chemistry…
- 1999-Mar-19 (First session)
- 1999-Apr-09 (Second session)
Ronald Breslow begins the interview with a discussion of his family life and background. He grew up in Rahway, New Jersey, the son of a physician. Max Tishler, a family friend, helped to pique Breslow's interest in…
Written by Joshua Lederberg while 17 years old, seeking permission to take Stodola's Chem s42C course, despite not having taken the necessary prerequisites.
Concerning appointment of Stodola as an Instructor at Columbia University.