- 2011-Nov-06 – 2011-Nov-07
Harold M. McNair grew up in Miami, Arizona, one of two sons. His parents worked in the local copper mines; they were not highly educated, but they valued education and encouraged Harold. He did well in school but also…
- Interviewee McNair, Harold Monroe, 1933-
- Interviewer Grayson, Michael A.
- Subject McNair, Harold Monroe, 1933-, Chemistry, Analytical chemistry, Chemists, Chromatographic analysis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Gas chromatography, Gas chromatography--Instruments, Liquid chromatography
Seymour Meyerson was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois and attended the University of Chicago from which he received his undergraduate degree. By 1943 Meyerson began active service with the US military, spending the…
- 2008-Apr-24 (First session)
- 2008-Apr-25 (Second session)
Keith R. Jennings begins his oral history by discussing his youth and education in the United Kingdom, including his chemistry studies at University of Oxford, where he worked with Jack Wilfrid Linnett, and his…
- 2009-Dec-09 (First session)
- 2009-Dec-10 (Second session)
Frank H. Field was raised in Cliffside Park, New Jersey, by an aunt, an uncle, and a grandmother. He entered Duke University, placing a year ahead in chemistry, but had very little money. To meet his expenses he worked…
- Interviewee Field, F. H. (Frank Henry), 1922-
- Interviewer Grayson, Michael A.
- Subject Field, F. H. (Frank Henry), 1922-, Ionization, Rockefeller University, Chromatographic analysis, Chemists, Mass spectrometry, Chemists--Biography, Consolidated Engineering Corporation, Esso Research and Engineering Company, Humble Oil and Refining Company (Incorporated in Tex.), Franklin, J. L. (Joseph Louis), 1906-, Chemical apparatus
Klaus Biemann's oral history begins with a discussion of his youth near Vienna, Austria. As pharmacy was the family profession, Biemann chose to study it at the University of Innsbruck. He soon developed an interest in…
John H. Beynon was born in Ystalyfera, Wales, the older of two sons whose parents ended their education at secondary school. Beynon grew up in a coal mining town and attended a local university, the University of Wales…
Neal Amundson begins the interview with a discussion of his family and early years in St. Paul, Minnesota. Amundson graduated from high school at the very depth of the Depression. For the Amundson family, times were…
- Interviewee Amundson, Neal R. (Neal Russell), 1916-2011
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Amundson, Neal R. (Neal Russell), 1916-2011, Heat--Transmission, Adsorption, Chemical engineering--Mathematics, University of Houston, Chemistry, Analytic, University of Minnesota, Chemical engineers, Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, Chromatographic analysis
Early examples of paper chromatography from German chemist Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge, who is considered to be the originator of the analytic technique. Runge investigated the color reactions of various chemical…
The press release discusses Bulletin 5933, devoted to the Ultraffinity-EP column and the fast affinity chromatography (FAC) technique.
The press release announces the specifications of the Spherogel CAA-HIC Column.
General view of the control panel of a Bendix Corporation Model 1076A Chromatograph Manifold Inlet System designed for use with a Bendix Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer. Inlet systems are typically used to introduce…
This chromatography instrument was first manufactured in the mid-1960s. It allowed operators to run several analyses at once and print out results, instead of compiling them separately. Components included pH and…