- 2011-Aug-24 – 2011-Aug-25
Uma Chowdhry grew up in Bombay (later Mumbai), India, one of three children. She attended British missionary schools, which taught in English, and became interested in science in high school. Having obtained a…
David Pyott was raised in India and Scotland. An early love of languages led him to work and study in mainland Europe, while pursuing a BA in German language and literature at the University of Edinburgh. Later, he…
Rebecca Rimel begins this brief interview with a discussion of the circumstances that led to the formation by The Pew Charitable Trusts of the Pew Scholars Program in the Biomedical Sciences. She discusses the roles of…
Morris Tanenbaum grew up in Huntington, West Virginia, one of three children. His Jewish parents had come from Russia and Poland by way of Buenos Aires, Argentina; they owned a delicatessen, in which Morris worked after…
Whitson Sadler begins his interview with a description of his family history, which he traces back to an English missionary in the 1600s. Born in Bristol, Tennessee, Sadler was the middle son of two formally trained…
J. Lawrence Wilson begins the interview with a discussion of his childhood and early education. Wilson grew up in Rosedale, Mississippi, and attended Culver Military Academy in Culver, Indiana. After high school, he…
Edgar Woolard begins the interview with a description of his family and childhood years in Washington, North Carolina. Woolard's parents encouraged him to excel in both academic and social environments. As a high-school…
- Interviewee Woolard, Edgar S., Jr., 1934-
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Sponsor Society of Chemical Industry (Great Britain). American Section
- Subject Woolard, Edgar S., Jr., 1934-, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, Aluminum Company of America, Businesspeople, Executives, Chemical industry, Dacron, Polyesters
- 2006-May-23 (First interview)
- 2006-Dec-07 (Second interview)
- 2007-Aug-02 (Third interview)
- 2008-Dec-18 (Fourth interview)
- 2011-Sep-30 (Fifth interview)
Henri Termeer begins his interview by discussing his parents’ histories, the influence of family, and his entrance into the business world. He describes how, as a boy, he began to develop leadership skills as early as…
- Interviewee Termeer, Henri, 1946-2017
- Interviewer Everson, Ted, Dionisio, Jennifer, Thackray, Arnold, 1939-
- Subject Baxter International Inc., Termeer, Henri, 1946-2017, Executives, Genzyme Center (Cambridge, Mass.), Gaucher disease--Treatment, Gaucher disease, Biotechnology, Biotechnology industries
Vincent L. Gregory begins this interview with a description of growing up in a family of nine during the Depression. While deciding between entering the priesthood and a business career, Gregory opted to study economics…
William Wishnick begins this interview by describing his parents' careers and the founding of the Wishnick-Tumpeer Chemical Company in 1920. His father's company, now called Witco, expanded with the acquisition of…
John W. Johnstone begins the interview with a description of his childhood days in the boroughs of New York City. While in high school, he was encouraged by John McManus to study chemistry. After graduating from Far…
- Interviewee Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Chemical industry, Businesspeople--Biography, Olin Corporation, Airco, Inc., Businesspeople, Executives, Chemists, Hooker Chemicals & Plastics Corp., Executives--Biography, Chemists--Biography, Johnstone, John W., 1932-2011
J. Roger Hirl begins the interview with a discussion of his early life and education. Hirl grew up in Iowa and Minnesota. After graduating from high school, Hirl attended the University of Iowa, earning his B.L.S. in…
- Interviewee Hirl, J. Roger, 1931-
- Interviewer Traynham, James G.
- Subject Chemical industry, Hirl, J. Roger, 1931-, Businesspeople--Biography, Olin Corporation, Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation, Businesspeople, Executives, Executives--Biography, Occidental Chemical (Firm), New York (State)--Niagara Falls--Love Canal Chemical Waste Landfill
- 2004-Nov-19 (First session)
- 2004-Nov-20 (Second session)
Masao Horiba begins the interview by discussing his childhood experiences in Japan during the 1920s and 1930s. Horiba suffered from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and spent much of his childhood listening to music, and…
The photo album documents 50th anniversary celebrations at the Japanese subsidiary of Beckman Instruments, established in Tokyo in 1977. A number of pictured individuals are identified. Unused pages of the album have…
The photographs depict Arnold Beckman at a variety of meetings and events. Identified individuals include Arnold Beckman, P. Dodds, V. Rossetti, Robert T. Sheen, W. G. Brombacher, Taylor Fletcher, Jack Bishop, William…
The photographs show Wallace Coulter cutting a boat-shaped cake at a celebration of Coulter Corporation's anniversary.
Wallace and Joseph Coulter founded the Coulter Corporation to market Coulter Counters, instruments…
The March 6, 1985 banquet celebrated the 50th Anniversary of Beckman and the 7th anniversary of Paso Robles operations. In 1994, Paso Robles was sold to JIT Manufacturing.
Some photographs bear notations, possibly…
Unidentified employees and their children gather for anniversary celebrations and a service awards banquet, about one year before the Porterville plant was declared a Superfund site responsible for contaminating…
- Circa 1985
- Circa 1992
These assorted photographs of Wallace Coulter span the 1940s to the 1990s. Other identified individuals include Jeanne O'Laughlin and Inez Andres, at a Barry University commencement. A photo at the American Association…
The photographs depict Wallace and Joseph Coulter, Jr. One group photo includes Sue Van, a Coulter Corporation executive and later President and CEO of the Wallace Coulter Foundation, and Don Grantham.
Beckman's Glenrothes plant was originally built in 1958; a second phase of construction was completed in 1962. The plant closed in 1991.
Identified individuals include Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, Cyprion Bridge,…
- Photographer Dietrich, T. A., Gordon Photographer, James R. Smith & Son, Terras, Markinch, Cathness Brothers, Harvey, G. W.
- Subject Factories, Buildings, Beckman, Arnold O., Executives, Automobiles, Elizabeth II, Queen of Great Britain, 1926-, Airplanes, Executives' spouses, Aerial photographs, Beckman Instruments, inc., Philip, Prince, consort of Elizabeth II, Queen of Great Britain, 1921-