In this interview, Herbert Morawetz traces his early life prior to leaving Czechoslovakia on the Nazi invasion and resettling in Canada, where he studied chemical engineering at the University of Toronto. He describes…
- 1993 – 1995 (In three sessions)
Boris Magasanik begins the interview with a description of his childhood years in Vienna, Austria. Shortly after graduating from the Gymnasium in 1937, Magasanik immigrated to the United States to live with his sister…
Bernard Fields begins the interview with a discussion of his early years, growing up in Brooklyn, New York. Fields was encouraged by his parents to excel in scholastic endeavors. After graduating high school at the age…
- Interviewee Fields, Bernard N.
- Interviewer Schlesinger, Sondra
- Subject Molecular biology, Virology--Research, Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Fields, Bernard N., Harvard Medical School, Immunology, National Communicable Disease Center (U.S.), Virology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Biochemists, Microbiologists
- 1987-Dec-15 (First session)
- 1988-Jan-06 (Second session)
Mildred Cohn begins the interview by reflecting on her childhood, education, and family life, describing how she was prepared to enter college by age fourteen. She then discusses her undergraduate experience at Hunter…
- Interviewee Cohn, Mildred, 1913-2009
- Interviewer Gortler, Leon B.
- Subject Women biochemists, Washington University (Saint Louis, Mo.), Urey, Harold Clayton, 1893-1981, University of Pennsylvania. School of Medicine, Du Vigneaud, Vincent, 1901-1978, Biochemistry, Harvard Medical School, Cornell University, Women chemists, Cohn, Mildred, 1913-2009, American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, American Society of Biological Chemists, Women in science, Biochemists, George Washington University
- 1991-May-30 (First session)
- 2002-Sep-13 (Second session)
- 2002-Nov-22 (Third session)
Elkan R. Blout begins the interview with a description of his family and childhood. Growing up in Manhattan as an only child, Blout was cared for by his parents, aunts, and uncles. He attended DeWitt Clinton High…
- Interviewee Blout, E. R. (Elkan Rogers), 1919-2006
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Blout, E. R. (Elkan Rogers), 1919-2006, Harvard School of Public Health, Land, Edwin H., 1909-1991, Polaroid Corporation, Children's Hospital Medical Center (Boston, Mass.), Harvard Medical School, Chemists--Biography, Columbia University, Woodward, R. B. (Robert Burns), 1917-1979
- Circa 1940
Photograph of Lawrence Joseph Henderson (1878-1942). Henderson was a professor of biological chemistry at Harvard University and founder of the Laboratory of Physical Chemistry at Harvard Medical School, as well as the…