At the request of the interviewee, the abstract of the interview and interviewee’s biographical data have not been included. For more information, please contact the Center for Oral History.
R. Byron Bird opens the interview with a brief discussion of his childhood. Born in Texas, Bird's family moved frequently, following Bird's father, a professor of civil engineering. During high school in Washington, DC,…
- 1997-Dec-02 – 1997-Dec-04
Christopher Bradfield grew up in the San Francisco, California, area. His early schooling was in Daly City, California, and he attended high school in Half Moon Bay. He has an older brother and a younger sister. His…
- Interviewee Bradfield, Christopher A., 1958-
- Interviewer Maestrejuan, Andrea R.
- Sponsor Pew Charitable Trusts
- Subject Bradfield, Christopher A., 1958-, Bjeldanes, Leonard F., Poland, Alan, 1940-, University of Wisconsin, Dioxins--Research, Hypoxia (Water), Gene therapy--Research, Science and state, Medical scientists
Harland G. Wood begins the interview with a brief discussion of his role in the restructuring of Western Reserve University's medical curriculum. He then reflects on his childhood and education, recalling that his…
- 1992-Jun-25 (First session)
- 1992-Jul-07 (Second session)
- 1992-Dec-09 (Third session)
Joshua Lederberg begins the three-part interview with a description of his parents, family background, and early years in New York. Lederberg knew from the second grade that he wanted to be a scientist, and he…
- Interviewee Lederberg, Joshua
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Microbiologists, Biologists, Biology, Neurospora, Microbiology, University of Wisconsin, Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Quantitative Biology, Lederberg, Joshua, Nobel Prize winners, DNA, Cytochemistry, Escherichia coli, Biologists--Biography
Jerome Berson begins this interview with a discussion about his family, his early interest in chemistry, and his childhood in Florida. After high school, Berson attended college at City College of New York. He then…
- Interviewee Berson, Jerome A.
- Interviewer Gortler, Leon B.
- Subject Roche Diagnostics, Physical organic chemistry, Biradicals, Conservation of orbital symmetry, Hückel, Erich, 1896-1980, University of Wisconsin, Doering, W. von E. (William Von Eggers), 1917-, Molecular orbitals, Berson, Jerome A., Chemists--Biography, Isotope dilution analysis, University of Southern California, Yale University, Woodward, R. B. (Robert Burns), 1917-1979, Carbonium ions