Search within featured Health & Medicine items
Joshua Lederberg begins the interview with a discussion of his involvement in the contamination issues of planetary exploration. As interest in space exploration gained momentum, Lederberg was in the midst of discussion…
- 1992-Jun-25 (First session)
- 1992-Jul-07 (Second session)
- 1992-Dec-09 (Third session)
Joshua Lederberg begins the three-part interview with a description of his parents, family background, and early years in New York. Lederberg knew from the second grade that he wanted to be a scientist, and he…
- Interviewee Lederberg, Joshua
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Nobel Prize winners, Biology, Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Quantitative Biology, Microbiologists, Neurospora, Lederberg, Joshua, University of Wisconsin, Escherichia coli, Cytochemistry, DNA, Biologists--Biography, Biologists, and Microbiology
David Golde begins the interview with a discussion of his early years and education in Bayonne, New Jersey. In high school, Golde developed an interest in medicine, which was stimulated by his biology teacher. He…
- Interviewee Golde, David W., 1940-2004
- Interviewer Wolfe, Audra J.
- Subject Microbiology, Microbiologists, Virology, Biochemists, Biochemistry, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, University of California, Los Angeles. School of Medicine, Cornell University, Golde, David W., 1940-2004, Virology--Research, Biology, and University of California, San Francisco. School of Medicine
Marion David Francis begins his interview with a discussion of his childhood in Canada. Deeply influenced by his industrious parents and siblings, Francis worked his way through high school and college at a logging…
Bernard Fields begins the interview with a discussion of his early years, growing up in Brooklyn, New York. Fields was encouraged by his parents to excel in scholastic endeavors. After graduating high school at the age…
- Interviewee Fields, Bernard N.
- Interviewer Schlesinger, Sondra
- Subject Molecular biology, Biochemistry, National Communicable Disease Center (U.S.), Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Virology--Research, Fields, Bernard N., Harvard Medical School, Microbiology, Biochemists, Microbiologists, Immunology, Virology, and Biology
- 1987-Dec-15 (First session)
- 1988-Jan-06 (Second session)
Mildred Cohn begins the interview by reflecting on her childhood, education, and family life, describing how she was prepared to enter college by age fourteen. She then discusses her undergraduate experience at Hunter…
- Interviewee Cohn, Mildred, 1913-2009
- Interviewer Gortler, Leon B.
- Subject Biochemistry, University of Pennsylvania. School of Medicine, Women in science, Women chemists, Women biochemists, Cornell University, Urey, Harold Clayton, 1893-1981, Biochemists, George Washington University, Washington University (Saint Louis, Mo.), American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, American Society of Biological Chemists, Cohn, Mildred, 1913-2009, Du Vigneaud, Vincent, 1901-1978, and Harvard Medical School
The interview begins with Konrad E. Bloch describing his childhood in Neisse, Germany, and his undergraduate education at Technische Hochschule in Munich. During a research assistantship in Davos, Switzerland, Bloch had…
- Interviewee Bloch, Konrad Emil, 1912-
- Interviewer Bohning, James J.
- Subject Biochemistry, Nobel Prize winners, Biosynthesis, Bloch, Konrad Emil, 1912-, Cholesterol, Human Genome Project, Harvard University, University of Oxford, Biochemists, Cholesterol--Synthesis, Chemistry, Organic, and Columbia University