This engraving shows the bust of Ambrose Godfrey-Hanckwitz (1660–1741), an apothecary from Germany who later came to England to assist Sir Robert Boyle; here he is surrounded by his apparatus. At the left are the furnace and receiver used in the manufacture of phosphorus. The molten product was removed with a ladle to the molds in which it was cast into sticks. Flaming phosphorus and the phoenix, the emblems of fire and immortality, are in the foreground.
Below the image, a Latin inscription reads: "Hac Amicitiae tesserâ Fautorib, valedicit Peregri-naturus Ambros: Godfrey Hanckwitz Chym: ad Phoenice Londini." (A token in friendship and support, farewell the absent Ambrose Godfrey Hanckwitz, Chemist: at the Phoenix London.)
|Original file type||TIFF|