General view of two employees working in the Bureau of Chemistry's Oil, Fat, and Wax Laboratory, with view of assorted laboratory glassware and apparatus. Part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Oil, Fat, and Wax Laboratory conducted research into methods of analysis and industrial manufacturing of assorted oils and fats.
The Bureau of Chemistry was established in 1901 through Congressional appropriations as a successor to the U.S.D.A. Division of Chemistry and significantly built upon the work of its predecessor, which researched the adulteration and misbranding of food and drugs on the American market. The 1906 Food and Drug Act notably increased the Bureau’s regulatory powers and led to the establishment of laboratories for testing the purity and composition of foods and drugs. In 1927, the Bureau of Chemistry effectively disbanded when its powers were reorganized under a new U.S.D.A. body, the Food, Drug, and Insecticide Organization (later the Food and Drug Administration).
|Original file type||TIFF|
United States. Food and Drug Administration. “Bureau of Chemistry Oil, Fat, and Wax Laboratory,” n.d. USDA Bureau of Chemistry Photograph Collection, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/c534fp352.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.