Elevated view of the sawmill at the Cliffs Dow wood distillation plant located in Marquette, Michigan taken from the perspective of the vertical retort, with view of wood storage in background. Seeking a source of raw material for its new plastic, ethylcellulose, the Dow Chemical Company joined with the Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company to form the Cliffs Dow Chemical Company in April 1935. The Cliffs Dow plant in Marquette primarily produced charcoal used in the manufacture of pig iron, as well as a range of chemical by-products including acetic acid, calcium acetate, wood alcohol, and ethyl alcohol. Notably, when the Marquette plant ceased operations in 1969, it was the last wood distillation plant in the United States.
|Place of creation|
Dow Chemical Company. “Sawmill at Cliffs Dow Plant in Marquette, Michigan,” 1949. Dow Chemical Company Historical Image Collection, Box 2, Folder Places--Cliffs-Dow Chemical Company--Marquette, Mich.--Outdoor Logging Operations. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/pc289j955.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.