General view of a section of the exterior of the Cliffs Dow wood distillation plant located in Marquette, Michigan, showing several large storage tanks and two unidentified individuals. Seeking a source of raw material for its new plastic, ethylcellulose, the Dow Chemical Company joined with the Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company to form the Cliffs Dow Chemical Company in April 1935. The Cliffs Dow plant in Marquette primarily produced charcoal used in the manufacture of pig iron, as well as a range of chemical by-products including acetic acid, calcium acetate, wood alcohol, and ethyl alcohol. Notably, when the Marquette plant ceased operations in 1969, it was the last wood distillation plant in the United States.
|Creator of work|
|Place of creation|
|Original file type||TIFF|
|Rights||No Known Copyright|
|View in library catalog|
Dow Chemical Company. “Cliffs Dow Plant in Marquette, Michigan,” n.d. Dow Chemical Company Historical Image Collection, Box Oversized Plants 2. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/qj72p757v.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
RightsNo Known Copyright
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.