General view of an employee utilizing an apparatus in the Bureau of Chemistry's Dust Laboratory. Part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Office of Development Work, the Dust Laboratory conducted research into the inflammability of dust in order to prevent explosions of carbonaceous dusts that arose during the handling of agricultural products.
The Bureau of Chemistry was established in 1901 through Congressional appropriations as a successor to the U.S.D.A. Division of Chemistry and significantly built upon the work of its predecessor, which researched the adulteration and misbranding of food and drugs on the American market. The 1906 Food and Drug Act notably increased the Bureau’s regulatory powers and led to the establishment of laboratories for testing the purity and composition of foods and drugs. In 1927, the Bureau of Chemistry effectively disbanded when its powers were reorganized under a new U.S.D.A. body, the Food, Drug, and Insecticide Organization (later the Food and Drug Administration).
|Original file type||TIFF|
United States. Food and Drug Administration. “Bureau of Chemistry Dust Laboratory,” n.d. USDA Bureau of Chemistry Photograph Collection, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/x346d463j.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.