Search within the Biting Words
Bug-A-Boo With and Without D.D.T. Kills All 9 Major Pests
- After 1931 – before 1963
Color-print advertisement for Socony-Vacuum Bug-a-boo insecticide. An illustration of three cartoon mosquitos fleeing from a pesticide sprayer fills the top portion of the page. Two Bug-a-boo bottles are illustrated on…
- Creator Of Work Socony-Vacuum Oil Company
- Subject DDT (Insecticide), Insecticides, Pests--Control, Socony-Vacuum Oil Company
Handbook of Pest Control; The Behavior, Life History, and Control of Household Pests
Second edition of a handbook presenting a thorough discussion on the varieties of household pests encountered by the typical homeowner and the tactics of remediation and control one may pursue against these pests.…
- Author Mallis, Arnold
- Publisher Gulf Research & Development Co.
- Subject Pests--Control, Insect pests, Household pests, Insecticides
DDT and the Insect Problem
Volume dedicated to summarizing the various uses, chemistry, pharmacology, history, and methods of using DDT. DDT (dichloro-diphenyl-trichloroethane) was developed as a synthetic insecticide in the 1940s. It was…
- Author Leary, James C., Fishbein, William I., Salter, Lawrence C.
- Publisher McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Subject DDT (Insecticide)
DDT... A deadly new bug killer as potent against insects as the sulfas and penicillin are against disease
Better Homes & Gardens Magazine article describing the history, function, and effects of DDT on pests. Advertises the use of DDT for use in one's garden or home. The article includes a cartoon illustration of a mosquito…
- Contributor Better homes and gardens books
- Author Adams, Walter
- Artist Burris, Burmah
- Subject DDT (Insecticide), Insecticides, Insecticides--Toxicology, Better homes and gardens books, Home economics, Insect pests, Pests--Control, Periodicals
DDT : Killer of Killers
Illustrated volume describing DDT insecticide and its development, history, purpose, health effects, formulations, and use. Includes seven chapters, twenty-four black and white photographic plates, and an appendix…
Toxaphene exhibition display (circa 1950s)
General view of an exhibition display panel marketing Toxaphene, a synthetic organic insecticide toxicant manufactured and sold by the Hercules Powder Company.
Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with…
- Creator Of Work Hercules Incorporated
- Subject Chemical industry, Corporations, Hercules Incorporated, Toxaphene, Insecticides, Advertising, Advertising, Industrial, Women in advertising
Designed to give students an understanding of the animal worlds, Popular Zoology describes and identifies the animals in two kingdoms of nature: the Invertebrates and the Vertebrates. The volume includes copious…
Chase's Products New Insect Bomb
- After 1927 – before 1972
Chase's brand insecticide aerosol spray can with black and white text on black, white, and yellow label. Round red cap.
- Manufacturer Chase Products Co.
- Subject Pesticides, DDT (Insecticide), Insecticides
The Red Mite Invasion
Color print advertisement for DN-Dust, an insecticide manufactured and sold by the Dow Chemical Company for the protection of deciduous fruits and walnut groves. The advertisement features an illustration of a red mite…
- Creator Of Work Dow Chemical Company
- Subject Dow Chemical Company, Advertising, Advertising, Industrial, Chemical industry, Corporations, Insecticides, Insect pests, Insect pests--Control
Mexican Brand Insect Fluid Label
- Circa 1910 – circa 1915
Printed bottle label for Mexican Brand Insect Fluid, depicting a woman using the product in a bedroom, with the tagline "What is Home without a Clean Bed."
- Subject Public health, DDT (Insecticide), Insecticides, Toxins
- Circa 1930
Color print cardboard poster for L'Insectoline DDT. A boy is using the product to kill a variety of insects.
- Contributor Imp. F. van buggenhoudt
- Subject Pests--Control, Pesticides, DDT (Insecticide), Insecticides