General view of employee Jim Kennedy operating a press machine used to fill electric blasting caps with an explosive charge at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Port Ewen, New York. The operation was remote-controlled and, per notations accompanying the photograph, the machine typically operated behind a concrete barricade, which is open here for the purposes of the photograph.
Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders. During World War II, the company's Port Ewen plant produced a range of special detonators designed for military use.
|Place of creation|
|View in library catalog|
Hercules Incorporated. “Press Machine at Hercules Port Ewen Plant,” March 1945. Photographs from the Records & Ephemera of Hercules Incorporated, Box 2, Folder 36. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/2801pg801.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.