A Pasadena garage was the first home of the National Postal Meter Company, founded by Arnold Beckman in 1934. The company soon became National Technical Laboratories, with a focus on pH meters. In 1935, the company moved into a larger building (on East Colorado Boulevard, near the original garage), and in 1940 relocated the headquarters to a 14,000 square foot building on Mission Street. A 27,000 square foot plant was built in 1946. In 1950, the company's name was changed to Beckman Instruments, Inc.
“Early Beckman Facilities, Pasadena and South Pasadena,” 1934–1950. Beckman Historical Collection, Box 59, Folder 44. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/736664895.