View of employee William White examining a Weather-O-Meter at the Althouse Chemical Company Customer Service and Quality Control Laboratory in Reading, Pennsylvania. To the left of the Weather-O-Meter are two Atlas-brand Fade-O-Meters, which used carbon arc light to test the light-fastness of dyed fabric.
Based in Reading, Pennsylvania, the Althouse Chemical Company was founded in 1915 by C. Scott Althouse (1880-1970) as a small, family-owned firm specializing in fabric dyes of a superior quality and class. In 1954, the Crompton & Knowles Corporation of Worcester, Massachusetts acquired Althouse, which continued to operate as a division of Crompton & Knowles and a leader in the specialty dyes industry.
|View in library catalog|