General view of the Customer Service and Quality Control Laboratory at the Althouse Chemical Company plant in Reading, Pennsylvania. The employees visible in the photograph are, from left: Tom Margolillo; Dot Bowen; Jane Reikeiuer; and Leo Labrecque.
Based in Reading, Pennsylvania, the Althouse Chemical Company was founded in 1915 by C. Scott Althouse (1880-1970) as a small, family-owned firm specializing in fabric dyes of a superior quality and class. In 1954, the Crompton & Knowles Corporation of Worcester, Massachusetts acquired Althouse, which continued to operate as a division of Crompton & Knowles and a leader in the specialty dyes industry.
|View in library catalog|