Two photographs depicting the Rohm and Haas Company home office building located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, part of a series documenting the use of Plexiglas in the building industry. Per notations accompanying the photographs, the building was designed by architectural firm George M. Ewing Company in consultation with Modernist architect Pietro Belluschi (1899-1994) and features brown Plexiglas curtain wall panels.
The Rohm and Haas Company was founded in 1907 in Esslingen, Germany through the partnership of German chemist Otto Röhm and German businessman Otto Haas. In 1933, Röhm's experiments with the polymerization of methyl methacrylate led to the creation of a clear, solid plastic sheet, which he trademarked Plexiglas. During World War II, the demand for Plexiglas, which both Allied and Axis forces used for submarine periscopes and aircraft windshields, canopies, and gun turrets, helped transform Rohm and Haas into a major chemical firm.
|Creator of work|
|Place of creation|
|Rights||No Known Copyright|
Rohm and Haas Company. “Rohm & Haas Company Home Office Building,” n.d. Rohm & Haas Company Archives, Box Photos 18, Folder 16. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/al63n9n.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
RightsNo Known Copyright
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.