General view of research assistant Evelyn Kieffer using a reactor flask to analyze an unidentified substance in a laboratory at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Brunswick, Georgia. One of two Hercules plants specializing in naval stores, the Brunswick plant extracted rosin, turpentine, and pine oil from pine tree stumps in order to produce a range of chemicals used in the manufacture of varnishes, paints, adhesives, insecticides, textiles, and other industrial products.
Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) initially specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders and subsequently diversified its business to encompass a variety of industrial products, including pine and paper chemicals, synthetics, pigments, polymers, and cellulose.
|Place of creation|
|Original file type||TIFF|
|View in library catalog|
Hercules Incorporated. “Reactor Flask in Use at Hercules Brunswick Plant,” circa 1960. Photographs from the Records & Ephemera of Hercules Incorporated, Box 1, Folder 6. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/dz010r044.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.