Close-up view of operator Felix Nakielny removing a test piece from an injection mold apparatus used in the Plastics Laboratory at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Parlin, New Jersey. Per notations accompanying the photograph, the machine, a 4 ounce Reed-Prentice, was used to obtain molding and physical data for cellulose materials. The Parlin plant commonly produced ethyl cellulose, nitrocellulose and, cellulose acetate, which were purchased by a variety of public and private industries as a raw material for use in plastics, films, lacquers, and other materials.
Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) initially specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders and subsequently diversified its business to encompass a variety of industrial products, including pine and paper chemicals, synthetics, pigments, polymers, and cellulose.
|View in library catalog|
Hercules Incorporated. “Testing of Cellulose Materials at Hercules Plastics Laboratory,” January 1949. Photographs from the Records & Ephemera of Hercules Incorporated, Box 2, Folder 26. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/f1881m701.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.