Close-up view of the take-off jig used to control extruded shapes on a National Rubber 2-inch extruder in the Plastics Laboratory at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Parlin, New Jersey. The employee visible in the photograph is identified as J.G. Fuller. Per notations accompanying the photograph, the material being extruded is a new formulation of ethyl cellulose being evaluated as tool handle stock. The Parlin plant commonly produced ethyl cellulose, nitrocellulose, and cellulose acetate, which were purchased by a variety of public and private industries as a raw material for use in plastics, films, lacquers, and other materials.
Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) initially specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders and subsequently diversified its business to encompass a variety of industrial products, including pine and paper chemicals, synthetics, pigments, polymers, and cellulose.
|Original file type||TIFF|
|View in library catalog|
Hercules Incorporated. “Take-off Jig at Hercules Parlin Plant,” January 1949. Photographs from the Records & Ephemera of Hercules Incorporated, Box 2, Folder 25. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/gt54kn59r.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.