General view of an unidentified employee cutting wire for use in blasting cap shells produced at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Port Ewen, New York. Prior to cutting, copper, enamel, and iron wire was insulated with cotton yarn and, as visible into the photograph, wound onto spools.
Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders. During World War II, the company's Port Ewen plant produced a range of special detonators designed for military use.
|Place of creation|
|Original file type||TIFF|
|View in library catalog|
Hercules Incorporated. “Wire-Cutting Spool Rack at Hercules Port Ewen Plant,” March 1945. Photographs from the Records & Ephemera of Hercules Incorporated, Box 2, Folder 36. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/pv63g082b.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.