General view of the heating tubs at the Althouse Chemical Company manufacturing plant in Reading, Pennsylvania. At left, an unidentified employee is seen using a Hastelloy pipe and jet to pump high-pressure steam into the tub. At right, an unidentified employee is seen shoveling dyestuffs into an open heating tub. A portable mixer, ice buggy, skid of raw materials, and a portable centrifugal pump are also visible throughout the room.
Based in Reading, Pennsylvania, the Althouse Chemical Company was founded in 1915 by C. Scott Althouse (1880-1970) as a small, family-owned firm specializing in fabric dyes of a superior quality and class. In 1954, the Crompton & Knowles Corporation of Worcester, Massachusetts acquired Althouse, which continued to operate as a division of Crompton & Knowles and a leader in the specialty dyes industry.
|Creator of work|
|Original file type||TIFF|
|Rights||No Known Copyright|
|View in library catalog|
Tenschert Commercial Photo Studio. “Heating Tubs at the Althouse Chemical Company Plant,” 1946. Photographs from the Records of the Althouse, Bates, and Crompton Chemical Companies, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/qj72p716m.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
RightsNo Known Copyright
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.