General view of the Production Department at the Althouse Chemical Company plant in Reading, Pennsylvania showing various equipment used in the production of azo dyes. Assorted equipment and apparatus visible in the photograph include a hydrochloric acid buggy on the left-hand side of the frame, as well as portable hoses, a heat exchanger, and Haveg and Cypress wood tubs.
Based in Reading, Pennsylvania, the Althouse Chemical Company was founded in 1915 by C. Scott Althouse (1880-1970) as a small, family-owned firm specializing in fabric dyes of a superior quality and class. In 1954, the Crompton & Knowles Corporation of Worcester, Massachusetts acquired Althouse, which continued to operate as a division of Crompton & Knowles and a leader in the specialty dyes industry.
|Original file type||TIFF|
|Rights||No Known Copyright|
|View in library catalog|
“Production Department at the Althouse Chemical Company Plant,” 1946. Photographs from the Records of the Althouse, Bates, and Crompton Chemical Companies, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/r207tp357.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
RightsNo Known Copyright
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.