Signing agreement to form the Center for History of Chemistry, 1982
Photographs depicting a 1982 gathering of Delaware Valley Industrialists and University of Pennsylvania officials during which an agreement to found a center of chemical history would be signed. The event was spurred by the mutual interest of the University of Pennsylvania and the American Chemical Society (ACS) Division of History to create a history center at the University. The Center for History of Chemistry (CHOC) is then launched in January 1982 as a joint venture of the ACS and UPenn. In 1992, the center would become the Chemical History Foundation (CHF), and in 2018, following a 2015 merger with the Life Sciences Foundation, renamed the Science History Institute.
The first photograph depicts a group of ten people standing and toasting with glasses of champagne. The second photograph depicts another group of ten seated around a large table in the midst of a discussion. Known to have been in attendance, though not identified above, are John W. Eckman (1919-1993), John C. Haas (1918-2011), Irving Shapiro (1916-2001), and Paul Pitts.
|Place of creation|
“Signing Agreement to Form the Center for History of Chemistry, 1982,” 1982. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/rlixn30.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
Download all 4 imagesPDFZIPof full-sized JPGs
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.