General view of the third continuous spinning machine used during the early stages of nylon production and research at the DuPont Experimental Station in Wilmington, Delaware. This machine became the prototype for the continuous spinning machine used at DuPont's first nylon pilot plant and was notably taken to Europe in July 1938 by Don Hull to demonstrate the nylon process. During production, nylon chips were fed into the pipe hopper at the top of the machine and then dropped onto a hot grid, where they melted. The melt subsequently flowed through a booster pump designed to help eliminate gas bubbles and ultimately was extruded through a spinneret to form filaments. Finally, the filaments were processed through a steam chimney and wound onto a bobbin at the rate of 1,000 feet per minute.
|Original file type||TIFF|
|Rights||No Known Copyright|
|View in library catalog|
“Third Continuous Spinning Machine,” May 14, 1937. Joseph X. Labovsky Collection of Nylon Photographs and Ephemera, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/sn009x830.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
RightsNo Known Copyright
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.