General view of several unidentified employees installing Plexiglass panels on the nose of a Douglas A-20 attack bomber. Per notations accompanying the photograph, the two halves that form the nose of the bomber are cemented together with acrylic resin and bolted into position on the aircraft. This photograph was likely taken at the Rohm and Haas Company plant located in Bristol, Pennsylvania.
The Rohm and Haas Company was founded in 1907 in Esslingen, Germany through the partnership of German chemist Otto Röhm and German businessman Otto Haas. In 1933, Röhm's experiments with the polymerization of methyl methacrylate led to the creation of a clear, solid plastic sheet, which he trademarked Plexiglas. During World War II, the demand for Plexiglas, which both Allied and Axis forces used for submarine periscopes and aircraft windshields, canopies, and gun turrets, helped transform Rohm and Haas into a major chemical firm.
|Original file type||TIFF|
|View in library catalog|
Rohm and Haas Company. “Installation of Plexiglas Panels at Rohm and Haas Facility,” 1940–1949. Rohm & Haas Company Archives, Box 18 (Photographs), Folder 12. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/3f462622v.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.