General view of the Varnish Laboratory at the Rohm and Haas Company home office located at West Washington Square in Philadelphia.
The Rohm and Haas Company was founded in 1907 in Esslingen, Germany through the partnership of German chemist Otto Röhm and German businessman Otto Haas. In 1933, Röhm's experiments with the polymerization of methyl methacrylate led to the creation of a clear, solid plastic sheet, which he trademarked Plexiglas. During World War II, the demand for Plexiglas, which both Allied and Axis forces used for submarine periscopes and aircraft windshields, canopies, and gun turrets, helped transform Rohm and Haas into a major chemical firm.
|Creator of work|
|Place of creation|
|Rights||No Known Copyright|
|View in library catalog|
Rohm and Haas Company. “Rohm and Haas Varnish Laboratory,” 1930–1939. Rohm & Haas Company Archives, Box Photos 2, Folder 5. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/62n21fy.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
RightsNo Known Copyright
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.