Two views of a separator used to separate carbon tetrachloride and water containing hydrochloric acid at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Parlin, New Jersey. The employee visible in the first photograph is identified as Edward F. Walsh. Per notations accompanying the photograph, the separator was lined with Penton, a Hercules-branded chlorinated polyether used as an ingredient in protective coatings for structural steel and other metals, papers, cardboard, and plastics.
Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) initially specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders and subsequently diversified its business to encompass a variety of industrial products, including pine and paper chemicals, synthetics, pigments, polymers, and cellulose.
|Original file type||TIFF|
|View in library catalog|
Hercules Incorporated. “Separator at Hercules Parlin Plant,” September 10, 1960. Photographs from the Records & Ephemera of Hercules Incorporated, Box 2, Folder 24. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/8k71nj03q.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.