Illustrated trade card depicts the monument of Justus von Liebig (1803-1873) in Munich, Germany with an inset of Liebig working in the laboratory as well as a closeup of the statue's bust surrounded by a laurel wreath. The bottom right depicts a jar of the Real Liebig Meat Extract. Verso is an advertisement for Liebig's Extract of Meat along with a biography of von Liebig.
Liebig's Extract of Meat Company was founded in 1865 by Justus von Liebig and George Christian Giebert. While the product was produced exclusively in Uruguay, it was extremely popular in Europe with 500 tons of the product being produced every year in the late 1870s. The company was very successful, eventually being bought in 1924 by the Vestey Group. In 1968 the company merged with Brooke Bond and then was eventually bought by Unilever in 1984. It was subsequently sold to Premier Foods in 2006.
|Rights||Public Domain Mark 1.0|
“Trade Card for Véritable Extrait De Viande Liebig [Real Liebig Meat Extract] with Justus Von Liebig.” Chromolithograph. Liebig's Extract of Meat Company, 1903. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/9s161738c.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.