Illustrated trade card depicts German chemist Justus von Liebig's (1803-1873) laboratory in Giessen in 1840. The trade card also features an inset bust of Liebig. Verso includes an advertisement for Oxo Bouillon, as well as a biography of Liebig.
Justus von Liebig transformed chemistry education through the development and organization of his laboratory. Liebig's laboratory became the model in teaching practical chemistry.
Liebig's Extract of Meat Company was founded in 1865 by Justus von Liebig and George Christian Giebert. While the product was produced exclusively in Uruguay, it was extremely popular in Europe, with 500 tons of the product produced every year in the late 1870's. The company was very successful and eventually was bought by the Vestey Group in 1924. In 1968 the company merged with Brooke Bond and was eventually bought by Unilever in 1984. It was subsequently sold to Premier Foods in 2006.
|Rights||Public Domain Mark 1.0|
“Trade Card for Bouillon Oxo En Flacons [Bouillon Oxo in Bottles] with Justus Von Liebig in Giessen in 1840.” Chromolithograph. Liebig's Extract of Meat Company, 1929. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/st74cr668.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
Trade card for Bouillon Oxo en Flacons [Bouillon Oxo in Bottles] with Justus von Liebig in Giessen in 1840
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.