Research Director George Garcelon inspects a portable temperature monitoring and control device at the Crompton & Knowles Research Center in Gibraltar, Pennsylvania. The device was used to regulate chemical reactions as they took place under ventilation hoods in the Center's laboratories.
Based in Worcester, Massachusetts, Crompton & Knowles initially specialized in the manufacture of textile machinery and diversified its business with the purchase of the Althouse Chemical Company in 1954. The purchase of Althouse laid the foundation for Crompton & Knowles' manufacture of specialty dyestuffs for a variety of industries and applications, including paper, leather, printing ink, and heat transfer printing establishments, in addition to the textile and garment industry.
|View in library catalog|