Group portrait of chemist and educator Edgar Fahs Smith (1854-1928) and University of Pennsylvania students posed in front of what is believed to be the Harrison Chemical Laboratory building. Over the course of his career, Smith (center, front row) served as professor of chemistry, vice provost, and provost at the University of Pennsylvania. Deeply concerned with the preservation of chemical history, Smith also amassed a collection of over 1,000 books on alchemy and chemistry, as well as numerous portraits, prints, engravings, autographed letters, and manuscripts, that make up the Edgar Fahs Smith Memorial Collection in the History of Chemistry housed at the University of Pennsylvania.
|Place of creation|
|Original file type||TIFF|