View of a secretary using a Termatrex Information Retrieval System at the Crompton & Knowles Research Center in Gibraltar, Pennsylvania. The system utilized punch-cards and a chemical identification code devised by chemist James Feeman to provide ready access to previous research results.
Based in Worcester, Massachusetts, Crompton & Knowles initially specialized in the manufacture of textile machinery and diversified its business with the purchase of the Althouse Chemical Company in 1954. The purchase of Althouse laid the foundation for Crompton & Knowles' manufacture of specialty dyestuffs for a variety of industries and applications, including paper, leather, printing ink, and heat transfer printing establishments, in addition to the textile and garment industry.
|View in library catalog|
“Termatrex Information Retrieval System in Use at Crompton & Knowles Research Center,” 1966. Photographs from the Records of the Althouse, Bates, and Crompton Chemical Companies, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/p2676v53n.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.