Close-up view of the mounting frame and driving mechanisms of the fertilizer distribution testing apparatus used in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Fertilizer Machinery Laboratory located at the Arlington Experimental Farm in Rosslyn [Arlington], Virginia. Notable components of the apparatus include weighing can holders located under the hoppers and a rack and pinion drive for the hopper train. This apparatus was used to measure the amount of fertilizer deposited by a distributor in each foot of travel.
Established by an act of Congress in April 1900, Arlington Farm served as the main field laboratory for the Bureau of Soils, U.S. Department of Agriculture, until 1941.
|View in library catalog|
“Fertilizer Testing Apparatus Mounting Frame and Driving Mechanisms,” 1935. Travis P. Hignett Collection of Fixed Nitrogen Research Laboratory Photographs, Box 4. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/qb98mf48d.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.