General view of the indoor soil track used in the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Fertilizer Machinery Laboratory located at the Arlington Experimental Farm in Rosslyn [Arlington], Virginia. Measuring 9 feet wide by 70 feet long, the track was used for fertilizer-depositing and seed-planting machinery tests. The machine visible on the track includes a cable and drum and was operated by an electric motor at speeds of 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 miles per hour.
Established by an act of Congress in April 1900, Arlington Farm served as the main field laboratory for the Bureau of Soils, U.S. Department of Agriculture, until 1941.
|View in library catalog|
“Indoor Soil Track at Fertilizer Machinery Laboratory,” 1935. Travis P. Hignett Collection of Fixed Nitrogen Research Laboratory Photographs, Box 4. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/jm214p16v.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.