General view of the Machine Room in the Tabulating Department at the Dow Chemical Company facilities located in Midland, Michigan. Several employees and machines, including tabulator, sorter, and interpreter units, are visible in the photograph. Per an article in the December 16, 1947 edition of The Brine Well, the Tabulating Department leased fifty-two machines from IBM to automatically transcribe, reproduce, and calculate data for a range of uses, including inventory control, material distribution, personnel records and statistics, payroll, sales analysis, and product usage.
|Creator of work|
|Place of creation|
|Original file type||TIFF|
|Rights||No Copyright - United States|
|View in library catalog|
Dow Chemical Company. “Machine Room in Dow Tabulating Department,” December 16, 1947. Dow Chemical Company Historical Image Collection, Box 10, Folder Plants--Tabulating Department. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/x059c8431.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
RightsIn the United States
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.