Plate B: Modifications of Crystalline Planes, Axes of Crystals, Optical Phenomena of Crystals
- Part of The Mineral Kingdom
Figures 1-10. Modifications of Crystalline Planes, Combinations, Axes, and Optical Phenomena.
1. Curved Places of the Hexakis-Octahedron
2. Striation, or Striping the Planes of the Cube
4. Drusy, or Crystalline Planes
5. Vertical Striation of the Hexagonal Prism
6. Horizontally Striated Lateral Planes of the Hexagonal Prism
7. Combination of the Cube P with the Octahedron O
8. Combination of the Cube with the Rhombic Dodecagon
9. Combination of the Cube with the Pentagonal Dodecahedron
10. Truncation or Sharpening of the Angles of the Cube
Figures 11-16. Axes of Crystals.
11. Cube with Three Equal Axes Cutting Each Other at Right Angles
12. Axes of Square Prism
13. Axes of the Right Rhombic Prism
14. Axes of the Oblique Rhombic Prism
15. Axes of the Oblique Rhomboidal Prism
16. Axes of the Rhombohedron
Figures 17-21. Optical Phenomena of Crystals.
17. Double Refracting Spar
18. Iridescent Rings of Color
19. Iridescent Rings
20. Colors Presented by Crystals With two Optical Axes
21. System of Rings of By-Axial Crystals
This hand-colored plate is part of the first edition English translation of the German Das Mineralreich in Bildern. The publication consists of two sections; the first is an introduction including topics such as the formation of crystals and chemical reactions of crystals; the second is devoted to the description of various mineral groups including precious stones, hornblende and augitic minerals, felspathic minerals, micaceous minerals, zeolitic minerals, calcareous minerals, and various salts and compounds. The final pages of the book contain twenty-four lithograph plates depicting crystalline structures and mineral forms. The first two plates are labeled A and B and the remaining plates are numbered I through XXII. The plates are hand-colored, using metallic finishes to create a lustrous effect.
|Place of publication|
|Rights||Public Domain Mark 1.0|
|View in library catalog|
Kurr, J. G. (Johann Gottlob). “Plate B: Modifications of Crystalline Planes, Axes of Crystals, Optical Phenomena of Crystals.” In The Mineral Kingdom. Edinburgh, Scotland: Edmonston and Douglas, 1859. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/xmkm77p.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
Download selected image
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.