Search within the Szymanowitz Autographed Letter Collection
Reservation Card for Reception in Honor of Marie Sklodowska Curie by the New York Academy of Sciences, the Museum of Natural History and the New York Mineralogical Club
- Before 1921-May-17
Invitation to the American mineralogist, George F. Kunz, to attend a meeting and reception in honor of Madame Marie Sklodowska Curie at the American Museum of Natural History on May 17, 1921. Kunz was a speaker at this…
- Addressee Kunz, George Frederick, 1856-1932
- Creator Of Work New York Mineralogical Club, American Museum of Natural History, New York Academy of Sciences
- Subject Curie, Marie, 1867-1934, Kunz, George Frederick, 1856-1932, Pupin, Michael, 1858-1935, Osborn, Henry Fairfield, 1857-1935, Abbe, Robert, 1851-1928
Letter from Benjamin Silliman to Messrs. Sever and Francis
Acknowledges receipt of Sharplep's "Chemical Tables," and expresses pleasure at its organization and content.
- Addressee Sever and Francis, Publishers
- Author Silliman, Benjamin, 1816-1885
- Subject Science--Study and teaching, Silliman, Benjamin, 1816-1885
Letter from Charles F. Chandler to Dr. Van Doren
Concerns a patent claim by Mathilda (sic) Groll, for cultivating microorganisms in whey and mixing them with sugar.
- Addressee Van Doren, Carl, 1885-1950
- Author Chandler, Charles Frederick, 1836-1925
- Subject Sugar, Groll, Mathilde, Chandler, Charles Frederick, 1836-1925, Microorganisms, Whey
Letter from Justus von Liebig to his nephew
Contains advice to his nephew on requesting recommendations. Text specifically mentions Friedrich Wohler and August Kekule.
Letter from Ira Remsen to Charles F. Chandler
Cover letter for preliminary circular in regard to Instruction in Chemistry at Johns Hopkins University.
Letter from Ira Remsen to D. B. Purinton
Acknowledgement letter to President of West Virginia University from the President of Johns Hopkins University.
- Addressee Purinton, Daniel Boardman
- Author Remsen, Ira, 1846-1927
Letter from Charles Hatchett to Edward Blakely
Thank-you note for Blakely's birthday gift of "a most elegant reticule" for Hatchett's wife.
- Addressee Blakely, Edward
- Author Hatchett, Charles, 1765?-1847
- Subject Hatchett, Charles, 1765?-1847
Letter from Joseph Fourier to John Dalton
Acknowledges receipt of Dalton's "A New System of Chemical Philosophy" and the bill for the publication. the book was placed in the library of the Royal Academy of Beaux Arts.
Widely known for introducing the atomic…
Letter from William Crookes to Henry Collen
Concerns a suggestion by Cullen for Crookes to perform an experiment to investigate spiritualism. Crookes states that he has given up these investigations to focus on radiation.
- Addressee Collen, Henry
- Author Crookes, William, 1832-1919
- Subject Spiritualism, Crookes, William, 1832-1919, Radiation, Cullen, Henry
Letter from Michael Faraday to Henry Cullen
Concerns articles that Faraday has to give to Collen.
- Addressee Cullen, Henry
- Author Faraday, Michael, 1791-1867
- Subject Cullen, Henry, Faraday, Michael, 1791-1867
Letter from Robert Christison to Lyon Playfair
- Circa 1842 – circa 1882 (Letter written on May 12. Year unknown.)
Christison requesting Playfair's opinion of a thesis which he describes as "an incomplete investigation of a difficult subject."
Letter from Edward Frankland to Dr. Henry
Concerns Frankland's intention to sign Dr. Henry's son's certificate so that he may attend the Athenaeum election. Letterhead is embossed, "Council on Education Kensington Museum."