View of Thomas Manzolillo examining a roller used to hold fabric in place for the application of dyestuffs. In this typical dye process, fabric is rolled through a trough of dye and then pressed between two heavy rollers, which forces the dye into the cloth and squeezes out the excess.
Based in Reading, Pennsylvania, the Althouse Chemical Company was founded in 1915 by C. Scott Althouse (1880-1970) as a small, family-owned firm specializing in fabric dyes of a superior quality and class. In 1954, the Crompton & Knowles Corporation of Worcester, Massachusetts acquired Althouse, which continued to operate as a division of Crompton & Knowles and a leader in the specialty dyes industry.
|Original file type||TIFF|
|View in library catalog|
“Dyeing Equipment in Use at Althouse Customer Service Laboratory,” 1951. Photographs from the Records of the Althouse, Bates, and Crompton Chemical Companies, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/0z708w40c.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.