View of chemist Dr. James F. Feeman filtering a dye slurry into a filter sink at the Crompton & Knowles Research Center in Gibraltar, Pennsylvania. The sink, made entirely of polyethylene, prevented the breakage of expensive flasks and porcelain filters widely used in dye research.
Based in Worcester, Massachusetts, Crompton & Knowles initially specialized in the manufacture of textile machinery and diversified its business with the purchase of the Althouse Chemical Company in 1954. The purchase of Althouse laid the foundation for Crompton & Knowles' manufacture of specialty dyestuffs for a variety of industries and applications, including paper, leather, printing ink, and heat transfer printing establishments, in addition to the textile and garment industry.
|Original file type||TIFF|
|View in library catalog|
“Chemist James Feeman Filtering Dye Slurry,” 1966. Photographs from the Records of the Althouse, Bates, and Crompton Chemical Companies, Box 1. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/2n49t172m.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.