Two photographs depicting the exterior of the Rohm and Haas Company home office building located on Independence Mall West in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Constructed in the 1960's, the building was designed by architectural firm George M. Ewing Company in consultation with Modernist architect Pietro Belluschi (1899-1994) and features brown Plexiglas curtain wall panels.
The Rohm and Haas Company was founded in 1907 in Esslingen, Germany through the partnership of German chemist Otto Röhm and German businessman Otto Haas. In 1933, Röhm's experiments with the polymerization of methyl methacrylate led to the creation of a clear, solid plastic sheet, which he trademarked Plexiglas. During World War II, the demand for Plexiglas, which both Allied and Axis forces used for submarine periscopes and aircraft windshields, canopies, and gun turrets, helped transform Rohm and Haas into a major chemical firm.
|Creator of work
|Place of creation
|No Known Copyright
Rohm and Haas Company. “Exterior Views of Rohm and Haas Home Office Building,” circa 1964. Rohm & Haas Company Archives, Box Photos Oversize 1, Folder 8. Science History Institute. Philadelphia. https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/ewatzhq.
This citation is automatically generated and may contain errors.
Previous image shift + or , Next image shift + or . Pan image Zoom in + or shift + Zoom out - or shift + Zoom to fit 0 Close viewer esc Also
Mouse click to zoom in; shift-click to zoom out. Drag to pan. Pinch to zoom on touch.